Skip to main content

Campus Security Authorities

The goal of the Jeanne Clery Act is to ensure that accurate information about crime and safety programs on campus is available to the public.  The Clery Act recognizes that people report crimes through many different avenues and people may not want to report crimes to the police for a variety of reasons.  To ensure that the Annual Security Report reflects the number of Clery defined crimes reported on campus, certain employees are designated as "Campus Security Authorities."  Campus Security Authorities (CSA's) are required to report any crimes reported to them to the campus Clery Office.  It is important to note, however, that any employee can report Clery reportable crimes to the Clery Office even if not formally designated as a CSA. Report a Clery Crime through the new online reporting form through Maxient or complete the form and return it to

Report a Clery Crime

Fillable Forms

Make a Clery Crime report

2023 Campus Security Authority Appointment Memorandum

Campus Security Authority FAQ

Who are CSA's at SSU?

The Clery Act defines CSA's as falling into four groups:

  1. Employees in University Police
  2. Employees or volunteers who have responsibility for campus security but are not part of the police department.  At SSU this would include our Seawolf Ambassadors.
  3. Employees or places that are listed in the Annual Security Report as places where crimes can be reported.  For a list of those locations, refer to the Annual Security Report.
  4. Officials of the University who have a significant responsibility for student and campus activities.  This group constitutes the largest group of CSA's on campus.  Positions that fall into this category are designated based on their duties and are approved as CSA's by the Clery Compliance Committee.  The people in these positions often work in Student Affairs, Title IX, or student housing, serve as club or academic advisors, coach athletics teams, support student clubs and Greek organizations, or have responsibilities for student discipline.

CSA's are notified of their status and assigned annual training.  If you think you may be a CSA and have not been designated, please contact Missy Brunetta by email or by phone at (707) 664-3408.

Are there people who are specifically excluded from being CSA's and do not have to report crimes?

Yes.  There are certain types of positions that cannot be designated as CSA's and are not required to report crimes.  Professional counselors, religious counselors, and physicians in the health center are generally exempt.  There may be exceptions to that rule, however, so please contact the Clery Office if you are unsure about your status or the status of someone you are speaking with.

If I tell someone something confidentially then how can they report my story to the Clery Office?

While confidentiality is critically important, it is also important that the community has an accurate understanding of crime on campus.  The Clery Office does not need any personal details about the victim or the person reporting the crime for Clery reporting.  Only the type of crime, when the crime happened, and enough information to classify the crime is required.  No personally identifying information needs to be reported.  Unless your situation warrants a Timely Warning to the campus, that report will only be translated to a statistical count.  If a Timely Warning is required, there will be no information that could identify you included.  Timely Warnings are only issued when there is a threat to other members of our community.

As a CSA, what if someone reports something to me and I'm not sure it really happened?

The Clery Act requires all reports of crimes to be reported to the Clery Office.  No investigation is necessary.  The Clery Office staff make determinations on the classification or nonclassfiication of reported crimes using the information we have our best judgment.  It is not necessary to have all the facts or be certain the reported crime occurred.  Police investigations are not required in order for a crime to be Clery reportable.  When in doubt, report the crime and let the Clery Office decide.

How can I report a Clery crime?

Submit any possible Clery crimes using the Clery Reporting Form or email your report to the Clery Office.  If you report using email, be sure not to include names or personally identifying information.  If the Clery Coordinator needs further information, you will be contacted.  You can also make a report to a CSA.

What types of crimes need to be reported? 

The Clery Act defines the types of crimes that need to be reported.  They are listed on the Clery Crime Reporting Form with definitions.  You can also find the definitions on the Clery Crimes website.  If you are unsure if something qualifies or meets the requirements, report it and let the Clery Coordinator decide.

What happens if I am a CSA and choose not to report a crime?

The Clery Act is a federal law that requires that CSA's report crimes.  Failure to do so can subject the University to significant fines and potential loss of financial aid support.  For this reason, employees could face disciplinary action for failure to report Clery crimes.

Won't reporting crimes we are not sure happened make the University look unsafe?

The goal of Clery is to ensure that we provide honest and accurate information to the community.  These reports not only report our crime statistics, they allow us to understand campus safety better so we can design safety programming for students and ensure we have the resources to keep campus safe.  There are many reasons people do not report crimes to the police, and that is a person's right.  It is important, however, that those crimes are still reflected in our report and not ignored.

I am a CSA and have information about a crime but it was also reported to the Police or another CSA so I'm sure they reported it.  Do I also have to report it.

Yes.  Do not rely on another person or department to report a crime.   Fulfill your obligation and report the crime.  The Clery Office works with reporters to ensure we don't double count reports.

Can I keep all of my reports and turn them in monthly or just once per year?

No.  Reports need to be made as soon as possible.  This is especially true if a crime could present an ongoing threat to the community.   In such instances, the Clery Act also requires we issue Timely Warnings notices to the campus.  Delay of such notices is a significant violation of the Clery Act.